Two children drown in Western Cape and KZN

Ambulance Picture

Ambulance Picture

Two children have drowned in two separate incidents in the Western Cape and KwaZulu-Natal, the National Sea Rescue Institute (NSRI) said on Sunday.

In Hermanus in the Western Cape, NSRI Hermanus duty crew dispatched rescue swimmers to Kleinmond Lagoon just after 6.30pm on Saturday evening, NSRI spokesman Craig Lambinon said.

This followed reports of a 13-year-old schoolboy, reportedly on a school outing, had disappeared underwater in the lagoon where he and friends had apparently been jumping into the lagoon from a bridge, he said.

Reports from eyewitnesses suggested that the teenager may have jumped into the water to assist a fellow school pupil who had got into difficulty in the water, and then he got into difficulty himself and disappeared underwater.

Western Cape government health emergency medical services (EMS), Overberg fire and rescue services, and the South African Police Service (SAPS) also responded.

“On arrival on the scene, two NSRI rescue swimmers waded in, two to three metre depth water, in a sweeping line search and on the return leg of the search they located and recovered the body of the teenager, and sadly paramedics declared the teenager deceased. Police have opened an inquest docket. Condolences are expressed to family,” Lambinon said.

Earlier on Saturday afternoon, NSRI Durban duty crew were activated at 4.39pm following reports of a 10-year-old boy swept into the lagoon by waves that had washed over a sand bank between the lagoon and the surf where a group of children were playing on the edge of the lagoon.

An NSRI Durban sea rescue craft was preparing to launch and Netcare 911 ambulance service, IPSS medical rescue, police search and rescue, and NSRI rescue swimmers responded directly to the scene.

“On arrival on the scene it was confirmed that the child was missing underwater in the lagoon, and a police search and rescue team located and recovered the body of the child following an extensive search and the body of the child has sadly been declared deceased by paramedics and taken into the care of the forensic pathology services. Police have opened an inquest docket. Condolences are expressed to family,” Lambinon said.

For more news your way, follow The Citizen on Facebook and Twitter.


today in print