One of the five Pretoria men accused of assaulting a black couple, Jacob Sono and his wife, Dudu, at a KFC drive-through told the Pretoria North Magistrates’ court on Thursday he was being assaulted and robbed at Kgosi Mampuru II prison.
Marius Hardi, 23, is the only accused in the group who has not been released on bail.
Harding’s legal representative, Nols Nolte, told Magistrate Thabo Ramahanelo his client had been assaulted and had some of his belongings stolen while in prison.
“He has tried reporting the matter, but they don’t want to assist him with anything. He wants to be moved to a single cell,” Nolte said.
Nolte told the court he was making bail application arrangements for Harding.
Harding had abandoned his bail application at an earlier stage.
Ockert Muller, 20, was granted bail by police soon after the incident happened, and Magistrate Motlhoki Rapulana extended his R5 000 bail.
Rapulana denied Dicky Junior van Rooyen and Joshua Scholtz, both 21 and 39-year-old Stephen Nel bail citing the seriousness of the charges they face, and the public outcry that followed the attack at the KFC in Pretoria North on August 2.
In October, Rapulana’s decision to deny the men’s bail application on August 30 was overturned by Acting Judge Andre Petersen at the North Gauteng High Court. He granted bail of R5,000 each to Van Rooyen, Nel and Schultz.
The five are facing charges of attempted murder, assault with the intent to do grievous bodily harm, and the pointing a firearm.
The case against the five men was postponed to November 27. The court is yet to decide on whether the matter should be moved to the regional court or stay in the magistrate court because an attempted murder charge cannot be heard at the latter.
During the bail application phase, two police officers testified that the five had acted with common purpose and that the attack was racially motivated.
The attack was captured on cellphone video, and the clip went viral on social media.