The 57-year-old scholar patroller, accused of allegedly sexually assaulting a large group of learners at a primary school in Soweto, abandoned his bail at the Protea Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday.
Dennis Mabasa, representing the patroller, told magistrate Ronald Zakwe, that he was instructed to abandon the bail application pending the finalisation of investigations.
The 57-year-old allegedly sexually assaulted 87 girls from the primary school.
Prosecutor Cheryl Slack said the identity parade did not materialise as previously planned because an issue was raised by the accused regarding legal representation.
Slack said the 57-year-old indicated that he had engaged with Legal Aid, and was no longer represented by Mabasa, which caused the parade to not happen.
“[The] state needs clarity from the defence whether Mr Mabasa is representing the accused or not?” Slack asked.
Mabasa addressed the court, and said the patroller denied saying that he had approached Legal Aid for representation.
The man confirmed to Zakwe that Mabasa was still his legal representative.
Slack requested that he be taken to the police station for the identity parade to resume, but asked that an order be made that the location of the parade not be made public for the safety of the 57-year-old and to avoid interference in the investigations.
The case was postponed to November 1 for further investigation.
Parents and community members attended the proceedings, and were pleased that the patroller had abandoned his bail application.