ANA
Premium Journalist
1 minute read
18 Oct 2017
3:10 pm

Wesgro condemns shooting at Cape Town airport

ANA

Two men were shot and wounded outside the departures terminal at Cape Town International Airport early on Wednesday morning.

Cape Town International Airport. FILE PHOTO

Wesgro, the Western Cape’s tourism, trade and investment promotion agency, has condemned the shooting at the Cape Town International Airport on Wednesday, saying that it was concerned about the safety of local travellers and tourists.

Two men were shot and wounded outside the departures terminal at Cape Town International Airport early on Wednesday morning in a suspected gang-related drive-by shooting.

Police spokesman Vish Naidoo said the “drop and go” section of the airport was closed off and travellers were accommodated elsewhere. Roads to the airport remained open.

The airport’s general manager, Deon Cloete, confirmed there were no road closures or flight delays as a result of the shooting, but said the police were investigating and the area involved had been cordoned off for investigative purposes.

Wesgro’s chief executive, Tim Harris, said they take the safety of tourists travelling to Cape Town and the Western Cape very seriously, as do the local and provincial governments.

“We are confident that the authorities will do everything necessary to investigate and bring to book those involved in the shooting that occurred at Cape Town International Airport this morning,” Harris said.

“This incident should not deter tourists from our beautiful city – who can rest assured that their safety is a top priority to the city and province.”

 – African News Agency (ANA)