South Africa 17.10.2017 01:39 pm

Family of woman killed in Duduzane Zuma car crash got R5k, says AfriForum

FILE PICTURE: Duduzane Zuma's Porsche after an accident on February 2014 in South Africa. (Photo by Gallo Images / Sunday Times / Mzilikazi wa Afrika)

FILE PICTURE: Duduzane Zuma's Porsche after an accident on February 2014 in South Africa. (Photo by Gallo Images / Sunday Times / Mzilikazi wa Afrika)

Other than a contribution of R5k from the taxi association, the family has received no further financial support whatsoever, says Gerrie Nel.

More than three years after President Jacob Zuma’s son Duduzane collided with a minibus taxi, the family of Phumzile Dube who died in the crash has only received a R5,000 “contribution” from a taxi association, head of AfriForum’s private prosecuting unit, Advocate Gerrie Nel said on Tuesday.

“Other than a contribution of R5 000 from the taxi association, the family has received no further financial support whatsoever. With respect to the Dube family, and undertaking the trauma that this incident caused, I want to commend the family for their willingness and eagerness to ensure that justice is done,” Nel said at a media briefing in Pretoria.

“The Dube family were never consulted, and neither were they informed of the decision not to prosecute. They have not received any award from the Road Accident Fund, the attorney has informed them that the road accident claim will be heard in the High Court in February 2018.”

Nel said AfriForum was also checking the status of that financial claim.

Members of the Dube family were present at the media briefing on Tuesday, but Nel said “they don’t feel comfortable talking to the media”.

AfriForum will now be consulting witnesses and experts as it waits for the National Prosecuting Authority to issue the nolle prosequi certificate.

Nel announced that his private prosecuting unit at AfriForum has instituted legal action seeking to prosecute Zuma junior.

“We have assisted the Dube family to submit an application for a nolle prosequi certificate earlier this morning, to prosecute Mr Duduzane Zuma on a charge of culpable homicide,” said Nel.

The certificate must be issued by the Director of Public Prosecutions, as a prerequisite for a private prosecution as it indicates that the State will not pursue the case.

The National Prosecuting Authority, in August 2015, decided not to prosecute Duduzane, despite the findings of an inquest that the President’s son was negligent in the accident.

“He failed to conduct himself in a reasonable manner under the circumstances,” Randburg Magistrate’s Court Magistrate Lolita Chetty said at the time, after the inquest.

Duduzane’s car rear-ended Jabulani Vusi Dlamini’s minibus taxi on the M1 South off-ramp to Grayston Drive in Sandton. Dube was killed and three other passengers were injured.

During the inquest, Zuma said he lost control of his Porsche after it hit a puddle in rainy conditions.

 

08

today in print