The KwaZulu-Natal (KZN) health department has completed its assessment of last week’s storm damage to hospitals and clinics in the province and estimates that it will cost about R100 million for repairs.
Announcing the costs of repairs KZN health MEC Dr. Sibongiseni Dhlomo said in a statement issued late on Monday: “As a Department, we now have a report that outlines our assessment findings; remedial actions; recommendations and estimates for funding required for the restoration of our health facilities to a functional state”.
Last week on Tuesday the EThekwini health district experienced severe thunderstorms with strong gale force winds and heavy rains, which caused extensive infrastructural damage and flooding to health facilities.
“Our findings are per damage for each affected institution and based on the assessment by the Provincial Infrastructure Disaster Response Teams and the Minister of Health Dr. Aaron Motsoaledi who dropped everything he was doing to come and personally assess how the hospitals were copying,” said Dhlomo.
The storms mostly blew away roofs, flooded buildings and caused electrical damages to health facilities that include; St’ Aidans Hospital, St. Mary’s Hospital, Osindisweni Hospital, Clairwood Hospital, Wentworth Hospital, Ekuhlengeni Hospital, Prince Mshiyeni Memorial Hospital, Addington Hospital, King Edward VII Hospital, and the Kwa Dabeka Community Health Centre.
“Our patients remain a priority and we are happy that the Premier, Hon Willies Mchunu is directly involved in ensuring that normalcy in all areas of concern is speedily restored,” Dhlomo.
“All in all, a sum of R98,200 million is required and will necessitate the involvement of the Department of Public Works; the Treasury Crack Team as well as the Department of Health.”
Dhlomo said the department was “very appreciative of the generous gesture made by the Private Hospitals who offered to make their facilities available in case the Department had the need to transfer some of the patients”.