South Africa 14.9.2017 08:10 am

Brickz back in court for pre-sentencing

The ‘Sweety my baby’ hit maker was found guilty of raping a 16-year-old girl in 2013 at his home in Ruimsig.

The pre-sentencing proceedings of convicted rapist and Kwaito star Sipho ‘Brickz’ Ndlovu are set to begin at the Roodeport Magistrate’s Court.

The ‘Sweety my baby’ hit maker was found guilty of raping a 16-year-old girl in 2013 at his home in Ruimsig.

On August 1, Ndlovu was denied bail pending his sentence. At the time, Magistrate John Baloyi said he was certain that the appeal against his conviction would fail and that Ndlovu would be tempted to abscond.

Baloyi said the question was whether Ndlovu should be granted bail when the court had been ready to hand down sentence before he changed legal representatives at such a late stage of the trial.

Earlier, Ndlovu said in an affidavit read out by defence advocate Piet du Plessis that he was arrested in November 2013 and had been out on R50,000 bail throughout the trial. Ndlovu said the charge he was convicted of was a schedule five offence and he was therefore eligible for bail pending sentence provided he give evidence.

He said he was able to maintain a salary of around R40,000 – R50,000 per month and had been forced to sell most of his assets to pay for legal fees for the trial.

At the time, Ndlovu said that he was willing to serve husu sentence and said that the truth would “come out”.

“I have realised through this fake accusation, the truth will come out due to the fact that the victim is my family member,” Ndlovu said at the time.

To comment you need to be signed in to Facebook. Please do not comment by saying anything prejudiced.
We reserve the right to remove offensive comments.

poll

today in print