South Africa 16.4.2014 08:30 am

Trifecta case to continue

The pair had been charged with stock theft.
Photo: Supplied

The pair had been charged with stock theft. Photo: Supplied

The fraud, corruption, and money laundering case against Northern Cape ANC leader John Block and his co-accused is expected to continue in the Kimberley High Court on Wednesday.

On Tuesday, Salie Joubert, for Northern Cape ANC officials Block and Alvin Botes, said the prosecution had destroyed their own case.

“They destroy their own case with the evidence given,” said Joubert.

Joubert submitted the State’s inferences reached in the case should be based on facts that had been proven in court.

Instead, the State’s inferences were “pie in the sky”.

Judge Mathebe Phatshoane was hearing argument in an application for acquittal from fraud and corruption charges against Northern Cape ANC heavyweights Block, Botes, Yolanda Botha, and Trifecta director Christo Scholtz.

The State has accused the Trifecta Group of entering into a number of lease agreements with Northern Cape departments in which rentals, or rental space, were grossly inflated.

All the accused have pleaded not guilty to the charges against them or their companies.

Joubert said the alleged gratification the State contended Block and Botes received from Trifecta was legal.

He argued that the State had no case against them on the money laundering and fraud charges.

– Sapa

 

03

today in print