Two drown in separate incidents – NSRI

File picture: NSRI

In one of the incidents, a crayfish open fishing boat was believed to have capsized.

Two people drowned in two separate incidents – one in the Western Cape and the other in KwaZulu-Natal, the National Sea Rescue Institute (NSRI) said on Saturday.

NSRI Mykonos duty crew were activated just before 8pm on Friday night following reports of a man missing after a boat reportedly capsized at Voorstrand, Paternoster, north of Cape Town, NSRI Mykonos deputy station commander Morne Dettmer said.

The crayfish bakkie (a small open fishing boat) was believed to have capsized with three local adult men on board. Two men managed to swim ashore and raised the alarm. They were attended to by Western Cape government health emergency medical services (EMS), he said.

The sea rescue craft Gemini Rescuer II was towed to the scene and launched, with the South African Police Service (SAPS) and traffic service officers also in attendance.

“During a shoreline and sea search the head lamp of the missing fisherman was located and recovered, but despite an extensive search no sign of the missing man has been found. The boat was found washed up on the beach.

“On Saturday NSRI Mykonos launched Gemini Rescuer II to join police in an ongoing search and recovery operation. Only one oar confirmed to be from the boat was recovered. A police dive unit are continuing an ongoing search and recovery operation and an investigation has been opened by police,” Dettmer said.

In the second incident, in northern KwaZulu-Natal, NSRI Richards Bay duty crew were activated at about 3pm on Saturday afternoon following reports of a drowning in progress at Bay Hall, NSRI Richards Bay station commander Dorian Robertson said.

“NSRI rescue swimmers responded directly to the scene in their private vehicles and our sea rescue vehicle responded. On arrival on the scene we found two females had been assisted from the water by bystanders after reportedly getting into difficulty in the water while swimming,” he said.

A child, believed to be aged 11, was being assisted by bystanders and was sitting in a private vehicle. NSRI medics commenced cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) efforts on a woman believed to be aged 19.

Lifeguards, the SAPS, EMRS ambulance services, and Meditrax ambulance services also responded and on their arrival paramedics took over CPR efforts. But despite extensive CPR efforts the woman was declared dead. Police had opened an inquest docket, Robertson said.

African News Agency (ANA)


For more news your way, follow The Citizen on Facebook and Twitter.

today in print

today in print