ANA
Premium Journalist
1 minute read
18 May 2017
7:11 pm

Case of men accused of killing three women postponed

ANA

The case was postponed to Friday, after the docket was not available in court.

Bongeka Phungula,28, and Popi Qwabe,24, were raped and murdered in Soweto last month. Picture source. twitter

The matter of the three men arrested in connection with the murders of three women in Soweto was postponed in the Protea Magistrates’ Court on Thursday.

The case was postponed to Friday, after the docket was not available in court.

Two of the slain women who have been identified by family and friends on social media are Bongeka Phungula, 28, and Popi Qwabe, 24.

The friends were reported missing on Friday. Their bodies were later found in different locations in Soweto. Phungula’s body was found in Tladi with gunshot wounds to the head.

Qwabe was identified at a mortuary in Naledi. Indications are that both women were raped before they were murdered.

Two men were arrested on Tuesday, and another was arrested on Wednesday. A third body which has not been identified was found burnt.

Police spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Lungelo Dlamini said police were following up on allegations that it might be the body of a woman who was reported missing in a location in Soweto.

The fourth body was identified as that of Lerato Moloi, 27, was found half naked on Sunday.

Police suspect the murdered woman who was a lesbian was raped before being killed.

Police said two men were arrested in connection with Moloi’s murder. The suspects appeared at the Protea Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday.

The same court where the three other murder suspects will be appearing on Friday.

– African News Agency (ANA)