The campaign entitled “Hands Off our Public Protector” was announced as Madonsela was being interviewed on the Jacaranda radio station on Wednesday morning, said JPSA national chairman Howard Dembovsky.
“Within minutes our tweet, and variations of it tagging other Twitter handles, had been retweeted far and wide,” said Dembovsky.
He said the campaign had already received public support.
“We feel that the Public Protector could do with some support for the essential work that she and her office does and sending the message out to her detractors to lay off is equally important.”
Dembovsky said the organisation would march to the offices of the Public Protector in Pretoria some time next month.
“This will not be a protest as such, but more of a public show of support.”
Dembovsky said that the campaign was completely apolitical and that JPSA would not tolerate any participation by political parties in the campaign.
“We have noted that coincidentally, the Freedom Front Plus has today also launched a campaign in support of the Public Protector,” he said.
“We wish to point out that we were completely unaware of their plans to do so and we distance ourselves from any political party events.”
Madonsela’s Nkandla report, which was released last Wednesday, found that President Jacob Zuma and his family had unduly benefited from R215 million security upgrades to the property, and where outstanding work was estimated at R36 million.
She had since faced critisicm for the report, as ANC chief whip Stone Sizani accused her on Wednesday of exceeding her mandate by demanding that Zuma respond to her findings.