South Africa 7.8.2013 04:22 pm

Man held in baby rape case released

The pair had been charged with stock theft.
Photo: Supplied

The pair had been charged with stock theft. Photo: Supplied

The man arrested in connection with the rape of a four-month-old baby and a seven-year-old boy in Ceres, Western Cape, has been released, police said on Wednesday.

The 32-year-old, who was arrested on Monday, was released on Tuesday night because he could not be linked to the case, Lt-Col Andre Traut said.

“Our search for the perpetrator continues.”

Provincial police commissioner Arno Lamoer said on Monday that the baby had been sleeping in bed with her parents when a man snatched and raped her in the early hours of Saturday morning. The boy was in the house and was raped at the same time.

Lamoer said it was believed the man had been staying in the house, on a farm, at the time.

“The child is currently at the Red Cross Children’s Hospital, where she had reconstructive surgery, and she will stay there for a long time,” Lamoer told reporters on the sidelines of a police memorial service in Kuils River.

“As you can see, there is a sick society outside. Some men can’t take the responsibility and we need to make sure this person is arrested.”

Sapa

 

today in print