ANA
Premium Journalist
1 minute read
6 Apr 2017
9:27 pm

Zuma not against march to Union Buildings

ANA

The police announced earlier on that the planned march was illegal, a decision which has since been overturned.

Members of Save South Africa picketing outside the National Treasury in Pretoria on Tuesday. The protesters are warning of a shutdown on Friday. Picture: ANA.

After the police declared a planned march to the Union Buildings by pressure group Save SA illegal, which a court later overruled, President Jacob Zuma’s office said he was not opposed to it.

“The presidency has noted media reports that it has opposed a protest march to the Union Buildings in Pretoria on Friday April 7, 2017. The presidency respects the right of South Africans to protest peacefully as enshrined in the Constitution of the Republic,” it said in a statement.

“The Presidency is thus not opposed to the march by Save SA to the Union Buildings.”

The event is one of several being planned for Friday in support of mounting calls for Zuma to step down after he fired Pravin Gordhan as Finance Minister, prompting international ratings agency S&P Global to cut the country’s credit rating to junk status.

Save SA turned to the Pretoria Magistrates’ Court late on Thursday and secured an urgent interdict that overturned the decision by Tshwane Metro Police to prohibit the march.

http://citizen.co.za/news/news-national/1480244/no-permission-granted-for-tshwane-march-says-phahlane/

– African News Agency

For more news your way, follow The Citizen on Facebook and Twitter.