The Save South Africa movement have organised a peaceful protest to take place in Nelson Mandela Bay on Friday.
The protest will take place in front of Port Elizabeth City Hall, and people are being called on to spread out for kilometres on end until Fiveways in Cape Road. A ‘circle of unity’ is expected to be formed at St Georges Park.
Mossel Bay residents will also take to the streets in an anti-Zuma protest on Friday. The event, which will kick off outside the town’s municipal offices, forms part of a national programme of action, calling for the removal of President Jacob Zuma.
Marches have also been organised in George, Sedgefield, Knysna and Plettenberg Bay.
Several organisations, including civil societies and political parties, have called on South African’s to join in on a nationwide protest in response to Zuma’s much criticised Cabinet reshuffle.
A viral message last weekend called on people to stay away from work and take to the streets to protest for Zuma’s removal, however, earlier this week government announced that Friday would be a normal working.
Meanwhile, the Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality said it would be open for business on Friday but supported citizens who wished to protest.
Executive Mayor Athol Trollip said that the municipality would continue to provide municipal services.
“Any municipal staff member who wishes to protest should do so during their lunch hour, or should take leave, in whatever form, through the appropriate channels, if they wish to protest beyond their lunch hour,” said Trollip in a statement.
Trollip said while citizens had a duty to hold the national government to account, it was important that all other areas of government remained fully functional.
“We will continue to provide services through all our structures. While we, as citizens, have a duty to hold our national government to account, it is crucial that all other spheres of government remain fully functional.”
“Local government is the engine room of basic service delivery, and I am responsible for ensuring that this engine continues running,” said Trollip.
– African News Agency