Johannesburg Road Agency managing director Skhumbuzo Macozoma confirmed that R37 million had been allocated to repair potholes, storm water drains, bridges and culverts in the city after extensive flood damage over the past few weeks.
Macozoma said that of the R1.8 billion the municipality had
assigned to the Johannesburg Road Agency, R60 million would go toward ongoing maintenance, upgrading and replacement of infrastructure, with the emphasis on the needs of communities.
“The heavy rains pushed forward the city’s agendas, and nine bridges have been prioritised for immediate reconstruction and upgrades to ensure safe passage for vehicles and pedestrians, and to prevent nd further loss or injury,” said Macozoma.
A total of R4.9 million had been allocated to reconstruct the Coleraine Drive culvert in Sandton in the north of the city.
It has collapsed due to the heavy rainfall.
Johannesburg Road Agency infrastructure development head Mpho Kau said the existing culvert would be reconstructed and replaced with a larger culvert.
“Storm water and other protection will be added to prevent damage to the structure in future.
“The road will be fully closed for the duration of the project,” said Kau.
“The contractor occupied the site on Monday and began construction. The expected project duration is approximately five months.”
Meanwhile, Gauteng transport MEC Ismail Vadi launched an emergency road maintenance campaign on Tuesday.
Vadi, alongside a maintenance crew of 260, embarked on repairing potholes that had developed on the N14 and Hendrik Potgieter Road.