South Africa 7.3.2017 10:29 pm

Probe into former KZN health head yet to be released

KwaZulu-Natal Health MEC Dr Sibongiseni Dhlomo and Health HOD Sibongile Zungu. (Photo by Gallo Images / Sowetan / Themba Mngomezulu)

KwaZulu-Natal Health MEC Dr Sibongiseni Dhlomo and Health HOD Sibongile Zungu. (Photo by Gallo Images / Sowetan / Themba Mngomezulu)

Dr Sibongile Zungu said that she had only received a draft copy of the report investigating allegations made against her.

Two years after it was completed, the outcome of an investigation into allegations of corruption and mismanagement levelled against the former head of the KwaZulu-Natal health department has yet to be made public.

The inquiry, headed by Professor Fikile Ndaki, was appointed by former Premier Senzo Mchunu in December 2014 following allegations of corruption and mismanagement levelled by the National Education Health and Allied Workers Union (Nehawu) against Dr Sibongile Zungu.

On Tuesday, the spokesperson for the Office of the KwaZulu-Natal premier, Ndabesinhle Sibiya said: “I have been informed by the Premier’s Special Advisor Advocate Linda Zama that there are consultations currently underway with concerned parties. Once those processes are completed, a statement on the cause of action will be issued moving forward.”

He also said that it was the intention to have the full report made public, but did not specify when this was expected.

Zungu said on Tuesday evening, that she had received a draft copy of the report, but had never received the full copy of the report.

READ MORE: SAHRC asked to investigate KZN health department 

Phakama Ndunakazi, provincial secretary for Nehawu could not immediately reached for comment.

Zungu was appointed department head in August 2009 on a five-year contract. When the contract came to an end her appointment was renewed on a monthly basis and it was almost a foregone conclusion that she would be reappointed, had it not been for the Nehawu allegations.

As a result of their complaints, Mchunu appointed the inquiry headed by Ndaki who was assisted Mimie Memka to investigate the allegations in December 2014.

Zungu was appointed for a further three months pending the outcome of Ndaki’s investigation according to a provincial executive council memorandum signed by Mchunu on December 2, 2014.

However, when it emerged in March 2015 that Ndoda Biyela, the Gauteng Health department’s suspended chief financial officer (CFO) had a month earlier been appointed as CFO in KwaZulu-Natal, her contract was not renewed.

Biyela had been accused of tender irregularities related to a linen contract in Gauteng.

Provincial health MEC Dr Sibongiseni Dhlomo accused Zungu of illegally appointing Ndoda Biyela to be chief financial officer without his knowledge.

The Ndaki report was completed in February 2015.

– African News Agency

For more news your way, follow The Citizen on Facebook and Twitter.

 

today in print