ANA
Premium Journalist
2 minute read
20 Feb 2017
5:04 pm

Gautrain route expansion plan completed – Makhura

ANA

The expansion of service routes to areas such as Mamelodi and Soweto will be done through a public and private partnership and take 20 years to complete.

Gautrain.

A feasibility plan into the expansion of Gautrain service to areas such as Mamelodi, Soweto and Boksburg has been completed, Gauteng Premier David Makhura said on Monday.

The expansion would be done through a public and private partnership and take 20 years to complete.

“The new areas that would be covered will include Mamelodi in Tshwane, Boksburg in Ekurhuleni, Randburg-Lanseria in Johannesburg, Mogale City and Syferfontein on the West Rand, Roodepoort and Jabulani in Soweto,” said Makhura.

Transport MEC Ismael Vadi announced last year that the Gautrain Management Agency (GMA) was expected to have the feasibility study submitted to Treasury by the end of July this year.

Makhura said that, through the memorandum of understanding signed with the minibus taxi sector in the province last year, the taxi industry would participate in the expansions of the BRT and the Gautrain systems, and also in the industry supply chain.

Turning to e-tolls, Makhura conceded that his government had been unsuccessful in resolving the ongoing spats and boycott by the public.

READ MORE: Don’t compromise service delivery, Makhura tells public servants

“I must admit publicly, as I did last year, that all the efforts we have made through the advisory panel have not led to the resolution of concerns of Gauteng motorists regarding affordability. We have tried our best. The ultimate solution can only come from national government … we will continue to engage in order to represent the interests of our residents.”

He further announced 31 new “mega human settlements” projects set to start in April across the province. The multibillion-rand housing projects would see Gauteng residents living nearer to work and not at the periphery of the cities any more.

“The long-awaited construction of mega human settlements and new cities will commence this year. There are 31 new mega human settlements that are both public and private sector partnerships that will start in April in different corridors,” he said.

“This will mobilise and unlock huge public and private investment at a level unprecedented in our post-apartheid history. [Human Settlements] MEC Mashatile will give more details when he speaks later this week.”

– African News Agency

For more news your way, follow The Citizen on Facebook and Twitter.