The man who killed his girlfriend before he burned and buried her body in his backyard briefly appeared in the Moretele Magistrates’ Court, in Hammanskraal on Monday, to apply for bail.
Thabo James Dube, 38, who is accused of killing the mother of his young child, had previously abandoned his bail application.
Dube, who was wearing a red striped T-shirt and navy blue pants, looked straight at the magistrate and avoided eye contact with the people packed in the public gallery during the court appearance.
Dube was arrested after he confessed to killing Meisie Molefe on October 6, police spokesperson Kay Makhubela earlier said.
Dube took police to the spot where he allegedly buried the 36-year-old mother. Police exhumed the remains of a person in the backyard of Dube’s home in Stinkwater, near Hammanskraal.
Dube reported Molefe as missing on October 26 and turned himself in three months later.
Makhubela said he confessed to hitting her on the head with an object, and when he realised he had killed her, he dragged her to the backyard to bury her.
He used petrol, oil and wood to set her alight. The deceased was burnt beyond recognition.
The Gauteng provincial government said the family was still awaiting DNA results of her remains to be announced on Monday.
Molefe, who was a breadwinner, had three children aged 12, 8 and 2. She also looked after her two brothers, one whom is disabled and are orphaned.
The government has offered to assist the family and also ensure that the children are also taken care of.
The matter was postponed to February 9 for bail application.
– African News Agency