South Africa 13.12.2016 01:09 pm

Former PE DJ sexual assault case withdrawn

Former PE DJ sexual assault case withdrawn

The DJ allegedly made several threatening phone calls to a 22-year-old woman, threatening to rape her.

A sexual assault case against a former presenter from a community radio station was withdrawn in the Port Elizabeth Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday.

The 36-year old former presenter, who worked for the contemporary Christian radio station, was arrested in August last year after he allegedly made several threatening phone calls to a 22-year-old woman claiming that he was going to rape and sexually assault her.

The former DJ was represented by well-known Cape Town defence attorney William Booth, who spoke to African News Agency (ANA) shortly after court proceedings. Booth said that, based on the evidence, there was no reasonable prospect of a successful prosecution.

“On the merits they do not have a case, based on that and my representations they have now decided to withdraw the case. That is the end of this case.

“This matter has had a major impact on my client, it’s been on the roll for a long time, obviously he has costs and emotional upheaval on his family as well. The actual allegations on the charge sheet, I know some newspapers have published it, those [allegations] are devoid of any truth,” said Booth.

The former presenter, whose identity is known to ANA, declined to comment on the matter. According to his Facebook page it would appear that he is now involved with campaigns aligned to #NoViolenceAgainstWoman.

 

today in print