We won’t be attending Sfiso’s memorial, says his mother

We won’t be attending Sfiso’s memorial, says his mother

Ncwane reportedly told his fans at the Thobela FM Praise and Worship Festival that he was not feeling well. Picture: Instagram (sfisoncwane)

The late singer’s mother says the family’s biggest challenge is that the memorial services will be held far from their home.

Sfiso Ncwane’s family say they will not be attending the two memorial services to be held on Thursday and Friday in Durban and Johannesburg.

His mother, Fikile Ncwane, said though she was aware of the memorial services, she would, however, not be attending either, as they were planning their own in Malangeni, KwaZulu-Natal. The one she was planning would only be attended by family and neighbours, she told Daily Sun.

Fikile said the family’s biggest challenge was that the memorial services were being held far from their home, and they did not have transport to take them to the venues. She further told the publication she had not been feeling well since his death.

His wife, Ayanda Ncwane, who was in Joburg, had communicated the funeral arrangements to the family. His sister, Gugu, said Ayanda had planned to take his body to Moses Mabhida Stadium for the funeral on Saturday without stopping at the family home. She further told the publication that Ayanda’s arrangement was apparently not in line with the family’s tradition but would follow her instructions.

Also read: We’ll always protect mommy for you, say Sfiso Ncwane’s sons 

Thursday’s memorial service will be held at the eThekwini Community Church in Durban, while tomorrow’s will be held at Grace Bible Church in Soweto. The funeral service will be held at Moses Mabhida Stadium and his final resting place will be at Heroes Acre in Chesterville.

The Kulungile Baba hitmaker died on Monday in Fourways Life hospital after a short illness.

Read: Sfiso’s daughter hadn’t spoken to him in 4 months – report 

The illness started on Sunday night at his Johannesburg home. He was then taken to hospital, where he was admitted and diagnosed with kidney failure and was later moved to the Intensive Care Unit.

“He unfortunately took his last breath at 9.30am Monday morning in the presence and arms of his loving wife Ayanda Ncwane,” said the family in a statement.

For more news your way, follow The Citizen on Facebook and Twitter.


today in print