President Jacob Zuma will reportedly appear before the African National Congress’ (ANC) integrity committee again after a meeting with the internal party structure headed by struggle stalwarts last Saturday.
The committee’s chairperson, Andrew Mlangeni, on Tuesday confirmed there would be another meeting scheduled with the president after he was hauled before the committee for allegedly bringing the ruling party into disrepute.
“I am not at liberty to divulge what we discussed during the meeting except to say we discussed the affairs and issues affecting the ANC. What I can tell you is that there will be another meeting, but we have not yet agreed on a date‚ time and place at which we will meet, but we have agreed that there will be another meeting‚” Mlangeni said.
Last month Mail & Guardian reported that Zuma could be called to account before the group of ANC veterans, some of whom have previously criticised him publicly, for the damning judgment by the Constitutional Court earlier this year in March that found he had breached certain sections of the constitution, the ANC’s embarrassing electoral defeat in key urban metros during the local government elections and the State of Capture report released in October.
ALSO READ: Zuma continues to make society’s blood boil
ANC secretary-general Gwede Mantashea previously stressed that Zuma hadn’t been charged with anything.
“It’s not what you think. They want to talk to him. It’s not charges. They called him to discuss the state of the organisation, that’s all,” he told the paper.
While the deputy chair of the committee, former National Assembly speaker Frene Ginwala, said it was not its business to charge ANC members but to look into the effect of their actions, such as bringing the party into disrepute. She also said the disciplinary committee had the powers to charge members.