A driver cuffed for reckless, negligent and drunk driving near Skukuza in the Kruger National Park on Saturday was released on bail in the Bushbuckridge Magistrates’ Court on Monday.
Skukuza police spokesperson Warrant Officer Bossie Boshoff said the case had been postponed to February next year, as they awaited the results of the man’s blood test.
Boshoff said it was believed that the driver, who is from Pretoria and was driving with his son in the vehicle, was travelling at a high speed at the time of the incident.
Boshoff said the driver was believed to have swerved but the left-hand side of the front of his vehicle crashed into the back of another vehicle, pushing it off the side of the road into the bushes and injuring an elderly woman occupant. He said she was transported to Nelspruit for further medical assistance.
Acting head of communications for the SA National Parks (SANParks) William Mabasa said in his 17 years of working for the park, he could not recall any other time where one vehicle had hit another vehicle from behind in the Kruger National Park.
He said that as investigations were ongoing, he could not confirm the reason for the crash, but he urged motorists in the park to remember to be on high alert at all times, as one never knew what may be on the road ahead, such as animals and other vehicles.
He further encouraged motorists in the park to remember that the speed limit on tar roads was 50km/hr while on sand roads, it was 40km/hr. He said traffic police were deployed on the roads, and fines would be imposed on those caught speeding.
– Caxton News Service