“We view this decision as correct as it will send a clear message that any unlawful activity will not be accepted at our correctional facilities,” chairman Vincent Smith said.
The Correctional Supervision and Parole Board decided earlier in the day that Frikkie du Preez and Christoff Becker be jailed for another year before they could be considered for parole again.
On February 16 the two were re-arrested after footage of them allegedly drinking alcohol and using a cellphone in jail emerged.
Earlier this month, Bekker, Du Preez, Gert van Schalkwyk, and Reinach Tiedt were released after being jailed for beating a homeless man to death in Pretoria in 2001.
“The fact that the two gentlemen had banned substances highlight their unsuitability for parole,” Smith said.
The committee remained concerned that contraband was apparently easily accessible to prisoners.
“It is thus not enough that the parole of the two inmates was revoked, there is still a need for lasting solutions to ensure that our facilities are crime-free and serve their purpose of rehabilitating offenders.”
The committee urged correctional services to conclude its probe into the role that officials may have played in the matter, to help the public regain trust in the department. The committee would monitor the outcome of the investigation.