Wilston Stoffels and Jevon Snyman appeared for a pre-trial conference before Judge President John Hlophe, following the death of Glenrico Martin.
Riaan Odendaal, for Stoffels, said there was a possible plea bargain on the table.
“In principle, we’ve reached an agreement in terms of section 105A [of the Criminal Procedure Act]. I’m confident we’ll be able to finalise it today [Friday].”
Hlophe seemed pleased and directed the lawyer to approach him or another judge in chambers later in the day to finalise dates and documents.
Martin, 19, was shot in the back of the head as he entered the Spes Bona Secondary School in Athlone on May 15 last year.
Stoffels was 18 at the time of the crime and Snyman was 19.
Snyman’s privately-funded attorney William da Grass (SUBS: CORR) was not present in court and the matter had to stand down for a while.
He was still absent when the matter was called up again.
Hlophe seemed displeased.
“Is he on a paid brief? Maybe we should lock him up for contempt of court,” he told State prosecutor Goodman Jaxa.
It emerged that the pre-trial conference had never been written down in Da Grass’s diary.
“He must come and give me an explanation on Monday. The matter was postponed in open court and he was present,” said Hlophe.
Snyman would remain in custody until a pre-trial conference on March 14.