South Africa 28.2.2014 08:16 am

Krejcir bail application continues

FILE PICTURE: Radovan Krejcir at the Palm Ridge Magistrates court. Picture: Neil McCartney

FILE PICTURE: Radovan Krejcir at the Palm Ridge Magistrates court. Picture: Neil McCartney

Czech fugitive Radovan Krejcir will continue his battle for bail in the Palm Ridge Magistrate’s Court on Friday.

His third bid for bail was postponed on Monday.

Krejcir was arrested in November on kidnapping and attempted murder charges. Five others have since been arrested.

On January 10, the High Court in Johannesburg denied Krejcir leave to appeal the dismissal of his application for bail by the Palm Ridge Regional Court on December 13.

On Monday, Krejcir’s lawyer, Annelene van den Heever, argued what she said were new merits in the case.

She told the court some of the information contained in affidavits used to oppose Krejcir’s last bail application was false, and some of it was obtained illegally.

Prosecutor Louis Mashiane rubbished Krejcir’s bail bid, saying no new evidence had been submitted. He accused Krejcir of abusing the legal system and being economical with the truth.

– Sapa

 

today in print