South Africa 27.10.2016 01:03 pm

Alleged Cape Town serial rapist now faces 72 charges

Photo: Supplied

Photo: Supplied

The state said the man’s method was to approach victims, rob them of jewellery and money before raping them.

The investigation involving an alleged serial rapist has been completed, a court in Cape Town heard on Thursday.

The alleged rapist, 33, may not be identified until he pleads to the charges – in the Western Cape High Court.

In Thursday’s proceedings, he appeared in the Bellville District Court before magistrate Ronald Rickerts.

The state was represented by advocate Nokuzola Mbewana, of the Western Cape directorate for public prosecutions.

She told the court that the man now faced 30 rape charges (previously 23), 30 counts of kidnapping and 12 of aggravated armed robbery.

She said the high court indictment had not yet been finalised but would be when the man made his final preliminary appearance in the district court on December 8.

The indictment would be served on him at his December appearance, via his legal aid lawyer Robyn Diedericks, she told the court.

ALSO READ: Man who killed Minister Nqakula’s son sent back to Sterkfontein Hospital 

The man’s appearance on Thursday was his fourth since his arrest in May.

The man was arrested in the Epping Industrial area after the Family Violence, Child Protection and the Sexual Offences provincial task team had completed extensive investigations.

A police statement at the time said the man’s method was to approach victims, rob them of jewellery and money before raping them.

He was arrested after forensic tests linked him to the alleged rapes – at that stage, of 23 women.

The statement said the rapes were perpetrated over a period of five years, in the Delft area on the Cape Flats, as well as in Khayelitsha.

– African News Agency (ANA)

 

today in print