Police watchdog to investigate shooting of Wits’ Shaeera Kalla

Police watchdog to investigate shooting of Wits’ Shaeera Kalla

Shaeera Kalla. Image via Youtube.

Students from the institution were shot at and injured during clashes with police.

According to the Wits SRC, Shaeera Kalla is being treated for 13 rubber bullet wounds to the back.

The SRC posted a message on their Twitter account where they regularly post updates about the #FeesMustFall movement.


The student body also said student leader Busisiwe Seabe was injured by a stun grenade and she too was being treated in hospital. What is also shocking, is a tweet posted by the SRC stating that Seabe and Kalla were allegedly questioned by police while they were waiting to be attended to in the emergency section of the hospital.


Meanwhile, the Independent Police Investigative Directorate (Ipid) plans investigate the multiple shooting, police spokeswoman Sally de Beer said on Thursday.

She said Gauteng commissioner Lt-Gen Deliwe de Lange visited Kalla in hospital and confirmed the injuries sustained after she was shot 13 times with rubber bullets. The Wits student representative council leaders said Kalla had her hands up asking police not to shoot when the incident happened.

“The matter will be referred to the Ipid for investigation. Any police officer found to have contravened the law will be dealt with accordingly. Members of the SAPS are once again called to exercise maximum restraint and according within the confines of the,” De Beer said.

“Our approach and management of the situation around campuses must be characterised by discipline and proportional use of force. We wish the injured student a speedy recovery.”

Wits spokeswoman Shirona Patel said four students, including Kalla, were shot with rubber bullets on Thursday. Six others were treated on campus for minor injuries and released. Kalla was being treated in hospital.

Protesting students took to the streets of Braamfontein in Johannesburg and marched peacefully against alleged police brutality after the incident. They then returned to the campus and gathered outside the Great Hall.

– African News Agency (ANA)


Students from the University of Witwatersrand were shot at and injured during skirmishes with the police during a march on campus on Thursday.

The Wits students’ representative council (SRC) said students were singing peacefully on campus when police fired at them with rubber bullets. They also used teargas.

Student said former SRC president Shaeera Kalla was shot at least nine times even though she held her hands up.


University spokesperson Shirona Patel confirmed the shooting and said Kalla was taken to hospital.

“Reports from campus security is that a student leader was shot nine times by police. Wits security and campus control do not have guns or rubber bullets,” Patel said.

ALSO READ: Cops ‘ambush’ Rhodes students from behind trees ‘like this is f***ing paintball’

“Several students were treated at campus health and wellness centre, and one with a dislocated leg was taken to hospital by the dean of students and campus nurse.”

Patel said protesting students had disrupted a lecture and tore up test papers on the west campus. She said police reacted by dispersing them.

Earlier, the university said a case of arson was being investigated by the police after a section of a library was set alight, damaging at least 100 books. The arson attack happened on Wednesday night.

Hundreds of Wits student were observed leaving the campus. They marched through Braamfontein, but It was not clear where they were headed.

ALSO READ: Mcebo Dlamini’s government bursary is ‘disgraceful’ – Professor Jansen


Students march to the Union Buildings for #FeesMustFall

Thousands of students took their nationwide #FeesMustFall protests to the Union Buildings in Pretoria on Thursday, as they marched to hand over a memorandum of demands, despite the Tshwane Metro Police Department declaring the march illegal.

The march was joined by high school learners from different townships around Tshwane and workers.

Police monitored closely monitored the group throughout the entire proceedings.

“We decided let the students march and hand over their memorandum because we didn’t want them to start acting violent and maybe disrupt the CBD,” TMPD spokesperson Senior Superintendent Isaac Mahamba said.

The students gathered outside the Union Buildings and we addressed by various #FeesMustFall leaders. Their attempts of handing a memorandum failed as they refused to hand it over to anyone except Minister of Higher Education Blade Nzimande.

“We want Blade and we want free education,” they shouted.

They attempted to get violent by throwing stones at police but they were quickly dispersed when a couple of stun grenades were fired.

“We demand end to oppression in our universities, victimisation of student leaders. We believe it’s been a main factor fuelling violence in universities. There is no way out of a genuine and legitimate demand for free education for all and now,” said Mametlwe Sebei from the workers and socialist party

“Government has to respond and engage students, we are willing to engage as long as that negotiation is about how do we make free education for all possible,” Sebei said.

The students said they will find another way of handing the memorandum to the minister. They vowed to continue protesting until their demands were met.

Additional reporting by African News Agency

today in print