Thapelo Lekabe
Digital Journalist
2 minute read
19 Oct 2016
3:14 pm

Mcebo Dlamini’s government bursary is ‘disgraceful’ – Professor Jansen

Thapelo Lekabe

He has even blocked journalists who criticised him on Twitter.

FILE PICTURE: Professor Jonathan Jansen. (Photo by Gallo Images/Foto24/Herman Verwey)

The former vice-chancellor and rector of the University of the Free State (UFS) Professor Jonathan Jansen has received backlash from social media users after he remarked that student activist Mcebo Dlamini’s sponsored bursary from the Gauteng department of education was “disgraceful”.

ALSO READ: Ndlozi: White murderers get bail, black student leaders dont

Jansen, a vocal critic of the #FeesMustFall movement – calling for free, quality, decolonised education higher education – was responding to a news report confirming Dlamini’s Master of Laws (LLM) degree is being paid for by the provincial government, despite him leading the charge for free tertiary education.

Users of the site took a swipe at Jansen, asking him to clarify his comment and why shouldn’t Dlamini receive funding from the state. Three people, including two journalists, were later blocked by Jansen, barring them from viewing his tweets.

The SABC’s Aldrin Sampear was one of the journalists:

Daily Maverick associate editor Ranjeni Munusamy was also blocked:

The former Wits University SRC president faces charges of public violence, theft, malicious damage to property and assault with intent to cause grievous bodily harm after he was arrested at his Wits residence on Sunday.

On Wednesday he was denied bail by the Johannesburg Magistrates’ Court due to evidence before the court that purportedly proved that he wouldn’t be able to maintain peaceful protests.

The decision by the court has caused an outcry from student organisations and ordinary citizens, who have accused government of employing “apartheid regime” tactics to intimidate student leaders in the hope that the protests, which have rocked the country’s university campuses over the past few weeks, will end.

The Wits Economic Freedom Fighters Student Command has reportedly vowed to intensify the protests and occupy the streets of Johannesburg until government cedes to their demands.

Earlier in the morning, Gauteng education MEC Panyaza Lesufi told Talk Radio 702 that his department could review Dlamini’s bursary after his charging, saying government shouldn’t be funding “someone who wants to disrupt education‚ and it is a costly amount of money”.

When he was challenged on his comments by Twitter users, Lesufi said he didn’t say he would recall Dlamini’s bursary because the ministry had supported him when he was not supported.

ALSO READ: Mcebo Dlamini is not free education – ANCYL