South Africa 5.8.2013 05:16 pm

Cape Town waste dumping case postponed

The pair had been charged with stock theft.
Photo: Supplied

The pair had been charged with stock theft. Photo: Supplied

Nine men who allegedly dumped human waste at Cape Town International Airport appeared in the Bellville Magistrate’s Court on Monday, the NPA said.

The men, all out on bail, were told to return to court on September 16 for a regional court date, National Prosecuting Authority Western Cape spokesman Eric Ntabazalila said.

They are Loyiso Nkohla, Andile Lili, Yanga Njingwana, Ben Dyani, Jaji Diniso, Bongile Zanazo, Thembela Mabanjwa, Bantubakhe Mqobodiya, and Wandisile Mkapa.

They allegedly dumped 10 buckets of faeces at the airport’s departures terminal on June 25. They are charged under the Civil Aviation Act, and face up to 30 years in prison if found guilty.

Nkohla is an ANC councillor and Lili is a former councillor. The men were out on a warning for a similar offence at a Cape Town train station at the time of their arrest. Seven of the men were initially denied bail but were later released following an application in the Western Cape High Court.

They were ordered not to convene or attend a protest without authorisation, to refrain from threatening, intimidating, or interfering with members of the public, and to not damage public property.

Sapa

 

The Citizen Trail Run 2018

today in print