; Two illegal miners found dead in Ekurhuleni – The Citizen

Two illegal miners found dead in Ekurhuleni

File photo. Ekurhuleni Emergency Services work at saving a large group of illegal miners trapped in a disused mine near McKenzie Park in Benoni, 16 February 2014 Picture: Neil McCartney

File photo. Ekurhuleni Emergency Services work at saving a large group of illegal miners trapped in a disused mine near McKenzie Park in Benoni, 16 February 2014 Picture: Neil McCartney

Two illegal miners have died in a mine shaft in Benoni, Ekurhuleni mayoral spokesman Zweli Dlamini said on Tuesday.

Dlamini said the incident was separate from that of the 25 illegal miners who were rescued from an abandoned mine shaft in Benoni.

“It is two or three kilometres away from the other incident,” he said.

One of the bodies was retrieved on Tuesday, while the other remained underground.

“The one body was brought up by miners themselves, the other body is trapped down there.”

Dlamini said the police and the department of mineral resources knew about the two deaths since late last week.

He said that emergency rescue services were not tasked with retrieving these bodies, as operations of this nature were the competence of the companies operating the mines under the supervision of the department.

Dlamini explained that mine rescues were a specialised field as there were many dangers involved that required specialised training.

Also, as there were dead bodies involved, the scene was classified as a crime scene to be investigated by police.

He referred questions about the retrieval of the bodies to the department of mineral resources, but the department could not immediately be reached for comment.

It was not immediately clear when the illegal miners died.

News agency Agence France-Presse quoted Hawks spokesman Paul Ramaloko as saying that the men died when a large rock fell on them, and that the second body remained pinned beneath the rock.

– Sapa

 

today in print