Police have said that four youths have briefly appeared in the Melmoth Magistrates’ Court on Monday in connection with the deaths of three KwaZulu-Natal (KZN) family members.
The four, aged between 16 and 21, face charges of murder following the murder of a 49-year-old mother, her 23-year-old son, and her pregnant 27-year-old daughter. The three were hacked with a bush knife and shot. Another family member survived but was in critical condition in hospital.
Police spokesperson Nqobile Gwala said the accused were remanded in custody following Monday’s court appearance. The case was postponed to August 29 for a bail application.
The incident happened in the early hours of Thursday morning.
“It is alleged that [the] four suspects armed with bush knives and a firearm entered the house while the victims were asleep,” Gwala said last week.
“They opened fire and hacked them to death. Among those killed was a 27-year-old woman who was pregnant.”
Gwala had said initial investigations conducted at the scene established that the killers took money and airtime vouchers.
– African News Agency (ANA)