Gauteng Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi announced on Monday that 63 percent of learners in the province had already been placed and were ready for schooling in 2017.
The online learner applications for Grade 1 and Grade 8 learners for 2017 began in April this year and ended in June. The placement period then ran for a month from June 24 to July 25.
Speaking at a briefing at the Gauteng education department offices in the Johannesburg CBD, Lesufi said anyone who had not gone through the registration process would not be placed at a school for 2017.
“It will be difficult to be part of our education next year.”
The MEC confirmed the 2017 registration process had been concluded for learners in the province.
He said almost 700 000 parents had applied for their children to be placed. A total of 500 000 Grade 1 learners and almost 92 000 Grade 8 learners had applied for schooling.
Lesufi expressed his concern at the low application rate in townships schools and said high demand schools were a sign of good education.
“Where there is high demand, it means there is teaching,” he said.
The department said they anticipated to officially conclude the process by September 7.
According to Lesufi, the department had received 4 747 applications from parents who were in other provinces who felt their children would receive a quality education in Gauteng.
“(A total of) 56,844 learners have been successfully assigned to schools for 2017, our approach is simple we are placing those who applied first and late applications after,” Lesufi said.
– African News Agency (ANA)