African National Congress (ANC) secretary-general Gwede Mantashe on Monday said the ruling party had done everything in its power ahead of Wednesday’s local government elections to retain its municipalities and make inroads in some wards it did not control.
Mantashe was briefing the media at Luthuli House in Johannesburg about the party’s state of readiness after its successful Siyanqoba Rally on Sunday, which was a final push for votes before the local government elections.
He was flanked by party spokesperson Zizi Kodwa and member of the ANC’s communications committee Lindiwe Zulu.
Mantashe said the ANC had “waged a very successful and positive election campaign” ahead of Wednesday’s polls, which has been heralded by many as being the most contested since 1994.
“We have gone to every community – rural and urban, rich and poor. We have spoken to communities about the significant strides we have made together and our commitments,” Mantashe said.
“We have listened and understood the challenges, and we continue to address them and have plans to do even more.”
Mantashe denied the party had used R1 billion to campaign for the elections, saying ANC treasure-general Zweli Mkhize would not have parted with that sum of money.
He said the ANC would be contesting almost all of the 4, 392 wards in all 213 municipalities.
He said the party had thousands of volunteers who had been the backbone of the election campaign.
“The ANC has over 90 000 supporters who have committed themselves to work as party agents in all our voting stations to monitor administration and voting,” Mantashe said.
Mantashe further said the ANC was committed to the electoral code and encourage free and fair participation without intimidation, saying that members who broke the code would be subjected to the party’s disciplinary processes.
“We recommit ourselves to the Electoral Code of Conduct and call on all our members and supporters to ensure that they abide by its regulations.”
– African News Agency (ANA)