Group Communications for Tsogo Sun Priya Naidoo has released a formal statement regarding the man who set himself alight inside the casino, Fourways Review reports.
“An incident involving a possible suicide, involving a man who set himself alight at the entrance before the security checkpoint of Montecasino has been reported to SAPS , who are currently investigating.”
Naidoo said emergency services were on the scene and precautionary measures had been taken to ensure the safety of the casino’s customers.
“Our thoughts are with the family and friends,” Naidoo said.
According to reports, the man used petrol to set himself on fire.
#MonteCasino A man has set himself on fire inside the casino. Reportedly dead.
— Yusuf Abramjee (@Abramjee) July 24, 2016
#HotboxSundays will not be taking place tonight due to the incident at Montecasino. We feel it would be in bad taste. Cantare will be closed
— #Cantare (@Cantare_Monte) July 24, 2016
When contacted for comment, Monetcasio’s management directed Fourways Review to the casino’s Twitter account, saying a formal statement would be released in due time.
Joburg Emergency Services (EMS) spokesperson Nana Radebe said they responded to a call at about 4.20pm.
“When paramedics arrived at the scene, they tried to extinguish the man,” she said.
Radebe said the man passed away at the scene. “We are not sure what happened for him to set himself alight,” Radebe said.
Radebe said the man was inside the Montecasino, near the restaurants when he set himself alight.
Douglasdale Police Station’s communication officer, Warrant Officer Balan Muthan, said a male poured petrol on himself before entering the casino. He told Fourways Review that a female who was near the man when he set himself on fire sustained minor injuries, but was now stable.
“The matter is now undergoing investigation, as it is an inquest,” Muthan said.
– Caxton News Service