The High Court in Pretoria ordered TUT’s management to immediately allow students back to their residences, said SYM national convenor Elmond Magedi.
The university was also ordered to pay the costs of the court application.
“The university millionaires must back off and let students enjoy their right for dignity,” Magedi said.]
Students were sent packing on Friday following the institution announcement that it was shutting down until further notice as students protested against a shortfall in money from the National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS).
TUT spokeswoman Willa de Ruyter said they were shutting down in a bid to protect lives and property.
Earlier on Saturday, the SA Students Congress (SASCO) and the university’s SRC launched an appeal to the ANC Regional Parliamentary Constituency Office on Saturday to find accommodation for students who came from distant parts of the country and had no resources to immediately travel home.
The St George’s hotel in Irene, Centurion then donated rooms and meals for 45 students, Gauteng MPL Jacqueline Mofokeng said.
On Friday, the university obtained a court order to stop protests at its campuses.
“In view of the ongoing student unrest, TUT… obtained an interdict to prevent anyone from participating in protest action on any of TUT’s campuses, to disrupt TUT activities or cause damage to TUT property,” De Ruyter said at the time.
Meanwhile, Higher Education Minister Blade Nzimande on Thursday announced that R1 billion would be added to the NSFAS.
On Saturday, De Ruyter said there was no protest action at the campus.
She said all campuses would be monitored throughout the weekend and once management was satisfied that it was safe for people to return to campus, an announcement would be made.