South Africa 14.7.2016 03:24 pm

Mamelodi bus services to resume next week

About 16 buses set alight by apparent ANC members during a protest, 20 June 2016, on Tsamaya road, Mamelodi. Picture: Jacques Nelles

About 16 buses set alight by apparent ANC members during a protest, 20 June 2016, on Tsamaya road, Mamelodi. Picture: Jacques Nelles

The department says Autopax will run a reduced service with only 55 buses after the the loss of the 19 torched buses.

Bus transport services will resume next week in Mamelodi, Tshwane, after the service was suspended due to violent protests that saw 19 Autopax buses torched.

“After consultations with relevant stakeholders, including the Mamelodi Transport Commuters’ Forum, the department of roads and transport, the Autopax management assessing the political climate in the area, the decision has been made to resume public transport operations,” the Gauteng department of roads and transport said on Thursday.

The department said Autopax would run a reduced service with only 55 buses due to the loss of the 19 torched buses. The bus service will resume on Monday.

“It is anticipated that the full service will be rolled out by October 2016. We appeal to Mamelodi residents at large to prevent damage to transport infrastructure and property, and to act in a manner that protects the safety of commuters and drivers,” the department said.

The provincial department entered into a contract with Passenger Rail Agency (Prasa) of South Africa’s Autopax to render continuity of services to commuters in Mamelodi after PUTCO decided to cancel its routes in the township.

The buses were set on fire during protests in Tshwane last month against the selection of Thoko Didiza as the African National Congress (ANC)  mayoral candidate in the metro for the August 3 local government elections. Shops were looted and other properties torched during the widespread protests.

– African News Agency (ANA)

 

07

today in print