Senzo Mchunu, the premier of KwaZulu-Natal, stepped down from his post on Monday afternoon.
Mchunu relayed the news from his Empangeni home with his family present as his daughters fielded phone calls from the press.
Rumours abounded in political circles since Friday about a possible recall of the premier. According to African News Agency sources, Mchunu had received a letter of recall from the African National Congress (ANC), but no politician or member of the party was prepared to go on the record to confirm Mchunu’s imminent departure at the time.
This despite the ruling party on Sunday dismissing rumours of Mchunu’s alleged axing or that an ultimatum had been given to him to resign.
Democratic Alliance provincial leader Zwakele Mncwango said Mchunu’s removal would be a “bad move.”
“I believe the allegations [that he will be axed] are true. Senzo Mchunu has never been accused of anything – not even of stealing a pen – yet the ANC wants to remove him. But they are happy to have a president in office [Jacob Zuma] who is facing 783 charges of corruption,” Mncwango said.
More to follow.