The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) is set to reveal its awaited course of action regarding the North Gauteng High Court in Pretoria’s judgment setting aside the non-prosecution of President Jacob Zuma on 783 corruption charges.
NPA spokesperson Luvuyo Mfaku initially told African News Agency (ANA) that the briefing scheduled at their Silverton headquarters was “to brief the media and the public about the work of the NPA. That is the reason for the briefing”.
Asked whether the high court judgment would be on the agenda, Mfaku responded: “Certainly. This is our last day to respond. We will”.
The media briefing is set to start at 10am.
Earlier this month, the NPA said it was still mulling on whether the 783 charges of fraud, corruption and racketeering against Zuma should be reinstated.
At the time, the NPA said it was yet to make any decision, following the high court ruling.
The court set aside the decision by former acting national director of public prosecutions Mokotedi Mpshe, to withdraw the raft of charges against Zuma, back in 2009.
Delivering the judgment on April 29 on behalf of a full bench, Judge Aubrey Ledwaba found that the decision taken by Mpshe to drop the corruption charges against Zuma in 2009 was irrational and thus set it aside. Ledwaba further ruled that the matter needed to be reviewed.
The case around the so-called “Spy Tapes” was brought by the Democratic Alliance which asked the court to review the decision to drop 783 charges of fraud, corruption and racketeering against Zuma.