Montecasino murder case: investigating officer robbed

FILE PICTURE: (From Left) Jean-Pierre Malan and Maruschka Robinson appear at the Randburg Magistrates court, 16 January 2014, in connection with the murder of Dustan Blom whose body was found in the boot of a car in Montecasino, Fourways. The case was postponed to March 26. Picture: Alaister Russell

Armed robbers allegedly looking for the case docket of Montecasino murder accused Maruschka Robinson and Jean-Pierre Malan accosted the investigating officer at his home last Friday.

This was revealed by State prosecutor Yusuf Baba during proceedings in the Randburg Court yesterday.

The two are accused of murdering Dustan Blom, 36, and leaving him in the boot of his Nissan Quashqai at Montecasino, Fourways. The prosecution is alleging the accused withdrew about R135 000 from Blom’s account.

CCTV footage was used to track the accused down.

Blom’s death leaves behind two baby children.

“This matter was remanded to today for further investigation,” Baba said yesterday. “What is outstanding is the toxicology report, the DNA testing and new evidence which has come to light as the result of the bail application dealt with in the other matter in regional court three. There are certain voice recordings which relate to this matter which the State requires.

“There is a concerning matter which arose on Friday evening. The investigating officer was robbed at his house. The two people were looking for this docket, or alternatively, the docket of the other matter.”

Baba was referring to the fraud case of Alex de Kooker, Ian Manyika, Heinrich Lodewyk Coetzee and Louis Lodewyk Coetzee, charged with using bank and credit cards belonging to Blom.

“The investigating officer’s police identity card, as well as some cash and other items, were taken. We are not saying these two people are involved in this.

The defence attorneys requested this be the final remand, as their clients had been in jail for a considerable time. Malan’s lawyer indicated he would be applying for bail at the next appearance. The prosecutor countered by saying three months was not a long time for a complicated case. The case was remanded to March 26, as was the fraud case. “We will not be intimidated,” Baba warned.

today in print

today in print