; No need to be fancy, parents tell Lesufi – The Citizen

No need to be fancy, parents tell Lesufi

The briefing by Gauteng MEC for Education, Panyaza Lesufi on what led to the learner admissions website's crash. Picture: Steven Tau

The briefing by Gauteng MEC for Education, Panyaza Lesufi on what led to the learner admissions website's crash. Picture: Steven Tau

The new online admission website has been marred by relentless technical glitches.

There is no need to be fancy … just go back to the old way of doing things, was the message from most parents who have been trying to register their children online, for the new academic year.

The new online admission website recently introduced by the Gauteng Department of Education has been marred by relentless technical glitches. The system was suspended last week and was meant to be brought back online on Tuesday morning, but there were delays due to continuous glitches. One of the parents who came all the way from Ekurhuleni, Vuyiswa Sobende, could not hide her emotions, expressing frustration at the website which has been experiencing problems.

“We have been waiting here at the department’s offices but no one was here to help explain to us what was really going on here. The best solution to this problem is for the department to revert to the old system,” she said. Another parent Beverley Stiglingh from Turfontein said the department must just admit and accept that the new online admission system was not working and that it was time to go back to the old way of doing things.

Lesufi, however, says he is confident that the new online admission website will function smoothly with no major challenges, he said the system would go live as of 2.30pm on Tuesday.

“The system had to be completely shut down and reprogrammed. Following talks with a cellphone network, we have been able to upgrade the system to accommodate 20 000 log ins per second,” Lesufi said.

However he warned there might be minor teething challenges going forward. He added that anyone threatening to take him to court, is welcome to do so.

“The days of using TDK cassettes are over,” Lesufi said. Speaking after a difficult day he and his department had of ensuring that the new online admission system does eventually start functioning optimally, Lesufi reiterated that the paperless classroom is the future.

“I am aware that there have been parents who have been saying standing in a queue is still the best thing to do, but even if you stand there at a school, you are not guaranteed immediate acceptance for your child in that particular school. “I am not doing this for financial gain but for the future of this country,” Lesufi said.

 

today in print