Criminal charges will be laid against the Gauteng bid evaluation committee chairperson and four other officials for the alleged wrongful awarding of R32 million in security contracts to four companies.
According to Gauteng health MEC Qedani Mahlangu’s office, a legal process is also under way to terminate the contracts of the four companies. They are Might Women Investments (which was awarded R6 million), Skets Projects (R7 million), Mjayeli Security (R9 million) and Bokone Bokone Guarding (R10 million). This was revealed in a written reply to questions by Mahlangu in the Gauteng legislature last week.
The MEC also said that 509 companies were still owed money by the department as of January 30 this year. However, the department had been able to pay 56% of companies that render services to it since the beginning of the year.
Mahlangu attributed the delays in payments to some companies to a range of issues. These included late submission of invoices by companies, delays in submission of invoices to institutions by suppliers; cases where suppliers delivered quantities exceeding the orders and charging incorrect prices on invoices after receipt of an order with predetermined prices.
She said measures had been put in place to address these problems and prevent them happening again.