ANC ‘hitlist’ councillor earns salary from jail

Tshwane ANC counclillor Joel Sindane who remains in custody following his arrest in connection with an alleged hitlist containing names of party members. Photo: Rekord North.

The ANC strongly condemned the supposed murder plot against the party’s members.

A Pretoria ANC ward councillor charged with conspiracy to murder 11 of his colleagues remains a paid councillor despite being in police custody.

ANC Tshwane spokesperson Tebogo Joala said Joel Sindane — councillor of ward 21 in Mabopane, north of the capital — will remain in his position despite being in custody since Tuesday 15 March, Rekord North reported.

“For now he remains the ward councillor. He has not been suspended, yet. He continues to get his salary,” said Joala.

“There are two issues involved here. The legal issue and the moral issue. We have to allow the legal process to take its course before commenting further.”

Earlier in the year, Joala strongly condemned the supposed murder plot against the party’s members.

“The ANC does not kill. Any person … found to be involved in any criminal activities such as murder cannot be a member of the ANC, no matter what position they [are] holding,” Jwala said.

According to police, Sindane is the second suspect to be arrested in connection with the list.

The first suspect was arrested on 3 November 3 last year, and charged with conspiracy and incitement to commit a serious crime.

Sindane appeared in court on Thursday 17 March, when his bail application was turned down.

Joala said the ANC Tshwane caucus had yet to deliberate on the matter.

“We are still waiting for information of what exactly his charges are all about. We will only be able to comment once we know exactly what is happening,” he said.

He refused to comment on the alleged hitlist, saying the party was busy with its own investigation.

The alleged hitlist, which started circulating towards the end of last year, reportedly included a member of the Tshwane Mayoral Committee.

Read more: ANC councillor in court over ‘hit list’
Police probe case of ANC ‘assassination list’ 

– Caxton News Service




today in print

today in print