Road Traffic Management Corporation (RTMC) spokesperson Thato Mosena said traffic heading inbound was expected to increase on January 5 and January 6, when people return from holiday.
Mosena could not confirm the official death toll on the roads, with an update on confirmed number of deaths expected from the transport department today.
But provincial transport and public works minister Robin Carlisle said yesterday that a decrease in road deaths had been experienced in the Western Cape.
“Our dedicated efforts on our roads over this festive season have seen half the passenger deaths compared to the same time last year with 29 deaths in 2013 compared to 59 deaths in 2012,” Carlisle said. “These are terrific results following the launch of Safely Home’s ‘It takes a second to save a life’ seatbelt campaign focused on this vulnerable class of fatalities.”
Between December 1 and December 29, a total of 124 people had died on Western Cape roads compared to the 149 deaths recorded in 2012. This marked a 17% reduction in December road deaths from last year.
Carlisle urged motorists to be vigilant when travelling home in January.
“Maintain safe speeds, not to drink and drive, pedestrians should be visible and not hazardous to motorists and vehicle occupants should always be buckled up,” he said.
Dangerous overtaking, drink and driving and excessive speeding continue to be contributing factors in road crashes, according to the RTMC.
Following the earlier arrests of Julius Malema and Steve Hofmeyr for excessive speeding, the SA Press Association reported yesterday that award-winning singer Donald Moatshe was arrested for speeding on the N2 in Ballito, KwaZulu-Natal.
Moatshe was driving a silver Audi Q3 at 182km/h in a 120km zone.
He was later granted R2 500 bail and is expected to appear in the Umhlali Magistrate’s Court on Monday. – firstname.lastname@example.org