Oscar Trial 16.3.2015 03:14 pm

Inmates allegedly assaulted after Oscar video

POOL/AFP / Siphiwe Sibeko<br />South African prosecutors have filed an appeal against the sentence and conviction of star Paralympian Oscar Pistorius, who last month was sentenced to five years for the culpable homicide of his girlfriend

POOL/AFP / Siphiwe Sibeko
South African prosecutors have filed an appeal against the sentence and conviction of star Paralympian Oscar Pistorius, who last month was sentenced to five years for the culpable homicide of his girlfriend

Department of Correctional Services’ officers reportedly assaulted inmates at Kgosi Mampuru II Prison in Pretoria and confiscated their cellphones and sim-cards. This happened after they allegedly filmed paralympian Oscar Pistorius and Czech fugitive Radovan Krejcir playing football.

CAJ News has been reliably informed the raid happened for three nights between Wednesday and Friday nights. The smuggling of mobile phones into South African prisons is rife. The video footage emanating from a cellphone is said to have angered the Correctional Services security guards, who conducted a raid when the prisoners were sleeping.

An inmate alleged the officers assaulted them.

“They took all our cellphone possessions while shouting that we were fools! They shouted at us for distributing the video footage to the media about Pistorius and Krejcir, who were playing football game,” one inmate told CAJ News.

The reported filming of Pistorius and Krejcir follows allegations they were receiving “special treatment” in prison.

Although the two convicts were seen on video playing football, Correctional Services has denied allegations that the duo was receiving exceptional treatment in jail.

Pistorius is serving five years for culpable homicide after killing his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp in 2013. Krejcir is on trial for drugs, attempted murder and kidnapping.

READ MORE: No special treatment for Oscar, Radovan: DCS (video)

 

today in print