The victim, Angelique Losse, 21, was sunbathing with two friends last week Wednesday at Parc Leo-Lagrange when she was attacked by the gang, aged between 16 and 24.
SOS Racisme, an anti-racism organisation, reportedly sparked the bikini protests, which on Twitter have gone under the hashtag #jeportemonmaillotauparc (I wear my swimming costume in the park).
The five attackers were reportedly arrested immediately, and the three oldest are expected to appear in court in September. The two girls aged 16 and 17 will face further questioning.
There have been reports speculating that the assailants were Muslim, which has not yet been confirmed. According to The Independent, the authorities have said they all came from a residential area with a large Muslim population.
The mayor of Reims, Arnaud Robinet, said: “We have to be very careful not to jump to conclusions. All the same, I can understand why people have assumed that this attack had religious motives. If that turns out to be the case, it is a very serious incident.”