(FILES) This combo file pictures made on April 10, 2016 shows an undated file picture released on November 24, 2015 by Belgian federal police of Mohamed Abrini (L) and a screengrab of the airport CCTV camera showing a suspect of this morning's attacks at Brussels Airport, in Zaventem, pushing a trolly with suitcases.
Paris attacks suspect Mohamed Abrini confessed on April 10, 2016 to being "the man in the hat" caught on video with suicide bombers at Brussels airport last month, images that had sparked a massive manhunt. Mohamed Abrini, a key suspect in the attacks in Paris and Brussels, was handed on January 30, 2017 for a day to the French authorities, announced the Belgian federal prosecutor's office, where he is currently detained. / AFP PHOTO / BELGIAN FEDERAL POLICE / HO / RESTRICTED TO EDITORIAL USE - MANDATORY CREDIT "AFP PHOTO / BELGIAN FEDERAL POLICE" - NO MARKETING NO ADVERTISING CAMPAIGNS - DISTRIBUTED AS A SERVICE TO CLIENTS
Mohamed Abrini, the “man in the hat” bombing suspect caught on camera during the Brussels airport attack, has been charged in France over the November 2015 jihadist massacres in Paris, his lawyers said Monday.
Belgium handed Abrini over to the French authorities on Monday for a day so that he could face charges related to the deaths of 130 people in the French capital. Abrini was captured in Brussels in April over his suspected involvement in the March 22 Brussels attacks and the Paris killings, both of which were claimed by the Islamic State group.
Belgian investigators have said the Brussels airport and metro bombers who killed a total of 32 people were part of the same Brussels-based cell that orchestrated the Paris attacks.
The main suspect in the Paris attacks is Salah Abdeslam, a Belgian-born French national believed to be the only survivor of the jihadist team behind the carnage.