UPDATE: Dog stabbed during break-in recovering well

The dog arrived at the vet with collapsed lungs.

A female German Shepherd dog named Spider was stabbed during a break-in late noon yesterday in Roodepoort, Gauteng, is said to be in a stable condition.

The dog has since undergone a 2-hour surgery. The Johannesburg Specialist Veterinary Centre said: “So far the dog is doing great, and he is up and about in a stable condition, though he has chest drains for excess fluid that is being drained, and when we take out the drains, we would be able to know when he can go home. His blood count is normal, and the owner has been contacted.”

“He sustained a massive laceration believed to be the size of a panga-type knife. The object used to stab the dog lacerated many major organs such as the lungs and liver and also penetrated the diaphragm. It missed the heart but caught the major vessels off the aorta and hence received two units of blood.”

The incident had occurred at about 1pm on September 20 when the dog was stabbed.

Honeydew police and other security companies rushed to the house that was broken into, including Nick Frost from Londoloza Protection Group, who was contacted for help.

“When I got to the scene, the police were already there. I wrapped the dog in a blanket and then contacted ambulance services to assist with the dog that had been stabbed,” Frost said.

READ MORE: Dog stabbed during break-in still in surgery

According to ER24 spokesperson Chitra Harduth, “upon arrival at the scene, paramedics took over treatment and rushed the dog in an ambulance to a veterinarian in Randpark Ridge”.

She added: “Paramedics hope efforts by everyone on scene, including the veterinarians, contribute to the dog’s recovery.”

The group first went to Allen’s Nek Vet, where the dog was stabilised. She was then transported to the Johannesburg Specialist Veterinary Centre in Randpark Ridge. According to the centre, the dog arrived in a stable condition with a stab wound to the chest. At the time she was being prepared for surgery.

Allen’s Nek Vet staff told The Citizen the dog was brought in with collapsed lungs, hence they stabilised it, and it was then transferred to Johannesburg Specialist Veterinary.

The Johannesburg Specialist vet stated that: “The dog was still in theater, and we are not sure for how long the surgery is going to take, but as soon as they are done we will inform you.”

– Caxton News Service

today in print