Africa 29.10.2014 11:05 am

SA condemns Egypt attack

Image courtesy stock.xchnge

Image courtesy stock.xchnge

The South African government on Wednesday condemned last week’s attack in Egypt in which at least 30 soldiers were killed.

“The South African government sends its deepest condolences to the families of the deceased, the people, and the government of the Arab Republic of Egypt, and wishes the injured a speedy recovery,” international relations and co-operation department spokesman Clayson Monyela said in a statement.

The attack happened at a time when Egypt mediated in the Israeli/Palestine conflict and made efforts to restore peace and stability in the region.

He said the South African government supported African Union Commission chairwoman Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma on the need for continued African efforts to prevent terrorism.

At least 30 Egyptian soldiers were killed when a suicide car bomb exploded at a checkpoint in the Sinai Peninsula on Friday.

Sapa

 

today in print