Five teenage boys have been released into the custody of their parents after they allegedly dragged a 12-year-girl from the streets around Albert’s Farm in Johannesburg on Wednesday.
The suspects, who are between the ages of 13 and 19, were released into the custody of their parents until police finish collecting all the evidence, Northcliff Melville Times reported.
Sophiatown Police Station’s head of visible policing Colonel Madelein Bunce said so far they have collected enough evidence against one of the five suspects.
“We will arrest them soon and they will face a sexual assault charge. We have enough evidence for prosecution,” she said.
Bunce added the victim was rescued after neighbours on the street where the she was dragged heard her screaming for help. When they checked, they noticed a group of five boys pulling her.
She said community patrollers, parents and the neighbourhood watch group were alerted by residents.
“On our arrival, after we were called in the afternoon, what we did was to take all the boys to our police station where we took their statements and [that] of the victim,” added Bunce.
She said because the suspects are under-age, they had to release them into the custody of their parents.
It’s unclear as to whether or not penetration took place.
In a separate incident, a seven-year-old girl was allegedly gang raped during school hours at Primary school in Vosloorus, East of Johannesburg, last year.
The father of the victim said her daughter came back from the school with a summon letter, but he got worried and asked his daughter why the school would call him.
“That’s when my daughter started telling me what the young boys had done, I was so heartbroken I sent her mother and her grandmother to the school but they could not even get help.”
Nkosinathi said when he went to the police station, the police could not open the case as they said the children were too young.
– Caxton News Service