“On behalf of the board and executive management, the chief executive of Rand Water would like to thank all the stakeholders for a resolution that enables Rand Water to continue to pursue its mandate of bulk water services provision.”
He said at the end all the parties agreed to meet each other halfway.
Mohale said he could not discuss what was concluded between Rand Water and the affiliated unions.
The SA Municipal Workers Union (Samwu) was not immediately available for comment.
On Friday, Samwu said it would consult with members about new a offer tabled by Rand Water.
The union’s national bargaining officer, Chumani Gqeke would not reveal the details of the revised offer tabled during a meeting on Thursday.
“We held a meeting with the employer on Thursday where they revised their wage offer…unfortunately I am in no position to reveal the details of the offer. All is now in the hands of members at Rand Water to indicate whether they accept the offer or not, we will communicate details of the offer as soon as processes are concluded,” said Gqeke said at the time.
A bid by Rand Water to secure a court interdict against Samwu’s planned strike was unsuccessful in the Labour Court in Johannesburg on Thursday.
Said Gqeke: “The judge instead instructed the parties to go back to the negotiation table and work on concluding the minimum agreement. We had always maintained that there was no need to approach the courts for an interdict.”
The union has demanded a 10 percent increase for lowest paid workers, nine percent for middle income workers and eight percent for supervisors. It also demanded a 12 percent incentive bonus and R2,150 housing allowance across the board.
Rand Water later revised its offer to a seven percent wage increase from an initial six percent, which was rejected by Samwu.
The strike, which had been planned for Thursday, would have affected water supply in Gauteng and some parts of Mpumalanga.